What is a tea rinse?
A tea rinse is done by pouring a cup of tea, commonly green or black, over the hair to reduce shedding or stimulate hair growth.
How is it supposed to work?
The caffeine in the tea penetrates the hair follicles.
Is there any proof that tea rinses make hair grow faster or reduce shedding?
One scientific study shows that caffeine can stimulate hair growth when used in tiny amounts (0.001% caffeine in water). The same study also found that applying too much caffeine to the hair follicles can actually stunt growth. A different study found that caffeine in shampoo can penetrate the hair follicles when left on for 2 minutes. Both studies were done on the hair follicles of men with androgenetic alopecia. So, no scientific studies have been done to test the effects of caffeine on a woman’s scalp who doesn’t have a hair loss disorder. Generally, the current evidence says that caffeine definitely penetrates hair follicles and may stimulate hair growth, but no one knows for sure. It’s impossible to say how much additional growth you might see, if any. Don’t expect more than an inch or two per year. There are no published scientific studies on caffeine and shedding.
How do I do a tea rinse?
1. Before you prepare for your shower, brew a weak cup of green or white tea.
Hair Tea Rinse Recipe
– 4 Lipton regular teabags
– 5 cups of water
Pour water into a pot or saucepan and bring to a boil, then turn off stove, and place teabags in hot water. Let steep and cool for at least 1 hour.
Black tea has higher caffeine content, so it’s not a good choice. You don’t want to make the tea too strong or you could do more harm than good. Try brewing 1 tea bag for only 1 or 2 minutes.2. Cool the tea down to lukewarm.
3. Use a color applicator bottle or spray bottle to apply the tea to your scalp.
4. Leave it on for at least 5 minutes and up to 30 minutes. There’s no way to tell how long would be best.
5. Shampoo and condition as usual.
6. Repeat the tea rinse 2 or 3 times a week. If you don’t see any results after 1-2 months it’s best to spend your efforts somewhere
7. You can also experiment with using tea to stimulate eyebrow growth. Follow the same steps as above and watch to see if the hair grows
thicker or more quickly.